Thursday, February 6, 2020

When We Fall Apart


Oh my goodness!  This song moved me to tears.  It brought me back to when I was 31-years-old and got the news that my dad was sick.  Within just a few months, he died.  I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that losing one of your parents, no matter your age, is heart breaking.  I would have preferred he lived to a ripe old age of 88 or older, but instead, he made it to 60.  Not long enough for this daughter.  

I love how in this song his mom tells him that...

It's ok to cry
It's ok to fall apart
You don't have to try
To be strong when you are not
And it may take sometime to make sense of all your thoughts
But don't ever fight your tears
'Cause there is freedom in every drop
Sometimes the only way to heal a broken heart is when we fall apart   


'Cause let's be honest, folks, sometimes the only thing you can do is cry.  Life can be brutal at times, and releasing tears usually brings a bit of relief.  I'm the type of person who likes to keep it together in front of others, but I am well aware that it truly is okay to fall apart.  Maybe you are like me, and you fight for composure.  That is okay, but remember to allow yourself time to let the tears flow.

There is a time for tears, and you shouldn't allow yourself to believe that crying is a sign of being weak.  Washington Irving, the author of The Legend of Sleepy Hollow, said that "There is a sacredness in tears.  They are not the mark of weakness, but of power.  They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues.  They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love."   He was a wise man!

Big hugs to all of you who have lost a parent (or parents).  My ❤️ feels for you!
    

No comments:

Post a Comment